Thursday, April 13, 2017

Kids are what we adults make out of them


This morning when i was at the the pool, i saw this cute, pudgy about-10-year-old boy and his elder sister taking their swimming lessons. They were accompanied by their mother (who was waiting outside the pool). After they got done, the mother went with the daughter to help her change, etc. The boy was also heading to the men's changing room. He stops, calls out to his mom, and just flings the cap at her (which falls on the floor), and doesn't bother to pick it up. Also, i don't think it would have taken even ten seconds to walk up to his mom and give it to her, or probably just give her the cap after changing. I understand that he's a kid. But what really got me thinking is that the mother didn't even bother correcting him. For a second, i thought, maybe i'm overthinking. But I wasn't. After changing, this little arrogant thing came and sat on a chair, in a very "I'm the boss, and all you feeble beings in the pool, I'm watching you swim"-kinda look.

I'm not a mother, and don't know if i ever will be (or want to be) one. But if i were in that situation i would have definitely walked up to my son, and politely asked him to pick up the cap. Even better, I would have asked him to take care of his things. And, something as basic as a swimming cap isn't a lot, for sure.

I truly believe that not always, but very often, our kids are what we adults make out of them.

No comments: